The Ministry of Justice has regulations requiring ANY volunteer who comes near or works around children to complete a criminal record check, regardless of the time spent working near or around them. This requirement involves a Criminal Record Search, valid for 5 years, which will include a Vulnerable Sector Search.  You must have criminal record check clearance in order to volunteer.

The reason for this is to ensure the safety of our students at all times regardless of a position or purpose. This means that all volunteers must obtain the same CRC clearance as employees.  If you are planning to volunteer on a field trip, in a classroom, in the library, handing out hot lunch, to read, or to help in any way you will require a criminal record check completed.  These will be valid for 5 years. If you have a CRC done already your organization can share it with the Abbotsford School District through the government process but you still must advise the school office before you go to the School Board office with your identification. 

How to Complete a Criminal Record Check:

1. Please complete the following forms and submit to the school office:

- AP 416-1 Letter of Understanding
- AP 416-2 Volunteer Application Form
- AP 416-4 Confidentiality Understanding

These must be returned to the school before you can obtain a Criminal Record Check. Volunteer forms are to be completed every school year.

2. Please visit the Abbotsford School Board office at 2790 Tims Street and bring two pieces of ID. They will request that you complete a "Volunteer - Consent To A Criminal Record Check" form and will submit it to the CRRP for processing.

The School Board office will receive the results and will advise the individual school. Approval can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks.

Already have a criminal record check completed? The front office can check to see if you already have a CRC on file with the School District!  

If you already have a criminal record check through the CRRP (Criminal Records Review Program) which was completed within the past 5 years and has the same clearance to work with the same population, then you could request your organization share it with the school district.  

Following are steps to have your Criminal Record Check (CRC) shared with the School District:

  • The CRC must have been done through the Ministry of Public Safety, specifically for Children and Vulnerable Adults (it cannot be not from the Police Department)
  • Complete a ‘Sharing Consent Form’
  • The district will ask the Ministry of Public Safety to share your CRC with the School District.

More information on sharing CRC’s can be found here : https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/crime-prevention/criminal-record-check/sharing-result